Looking for fun things to do in Spokane for New Year’s Eve? There’s quite a lot going on, but it can be tough to narrow it all down. Luckily, we’ve done that for you! 2020 is going to be a big year for Spokane – this year, there’s a lot more going on than there was last year. Let’s break it all down below!
New Year’s Eve in Downtown Spokane
Last year, Spokane had a pretty solid fireworks show, and New Year’s Eve 2020 in Spokane is building up to be even better! Celebrate New Year’s Eve in downtown Spokane at Riverfront Park from 8 pm until midnight. Here’s what you can expect:
- 8 to 9 pm – Countdown Pavilion light show
- 9 pm – Fireworks!
- 11 pm to midnight – Countdown Pavilion light show
Riverfront will also offer extended hours on New Year’s Eve, with the Skate Ribbon open from 10 am to 10 pm, the Sky Ribbon Cafe open from 10 am to 10 pm, the Skyride open fro 10 am to 8 pm, and Looff Carrousel open from 10 am to 9 pm.
This year’s fireworks display will be longer than last year’s, too! Expect the Spokane New Year’s Eve fireworks to last 12 minutes this year. Read more about it here!
Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve Events in Spokane
Looking for New Year’s Eve activities for the whole family? The events below are all family-friendly, meaning there are no age restrictions on these events. Looking for events for ages 21 and up? Keep scrolling!
1) New Year’s Eve at Kids Quest Northern Quest – from 5 pm until midnight, drop the kiddos off in their jammies at Kids Quest! Kids will play slumber party games, win prizes, and countdown for a balloon drop! Learn more about this event here.
2) Family-friendly New Year’s Eve at Iron Goat! From 5 pm until 10 pm, bring the whole family to the Iron Goat for games, noisemakers, and more! Learn more about this event here.
3) Noon Year’s Eve Party! The Spokane Public Library will be hosting several of these events around Spokane. Find a Noon Year’s Eve party at the Indian Trail Spokane Public Library from 11 am to noon. This special family event will offer crafts, snacks and more. Learn more about the Indian Trail Library event here.
4) In Post Falls, make New Year’s Eve a family-friendly event by celebrating Noon Year’s Eve. Beginning at 11 am, head over to Silver Lake Mall and join the Community Library Network for crafts, dancing, snacks and more. This event is geared toward ages 2-8. Learn more about the Noon Years’ Eve Party here.
5) Triple Play’s New Year’s Eve Party! From 6 pm until 1 pm, for $29.95 plus tax, get access to all Triple Play attractions and waterpark! The whole family will enjoy bowling, laser tag, rock climbing and so much more. Each pass also includes party favors, a $5 game card, and entry into a raffle! Learn more here.
6) Looking for something a little more relaxing this New Year’s Eve? Let the Spokane Symphony put you at ease with New Year’s Eve: Beethoven’s Ninth. From 7 to 9 pm, you can enjoy Beethoven while celebrating the end of 2019! Learn more about this event and get tickets here.
21+ New Year’s Eve Events In and Around Spokane
If you’re looking for more adult-friendly New Year’s Eve events in Spokane, don’t worry – Spokane has a ton to offer!
1) Lil Sumthin’s Big Openin’ will be the grand opening for Lil Sumthin’s! Lil Sumthin’s is a new saloon in downtown Spokane and will be hosting a new year’s eve event and grand opening party on the same night! Make sure to dress up, because the best dressed will win $100! Admission is $5 at the door.
2) LeftBank Wine Bar will be hosting a New Years Masquerade Party on the 31st, with food, free champagne toast at midnight, and more!
3) Travel back in time to the roaring 20s in downtown Spokane with Boombox Pizza! There will be a champagne toast, balloon drop, DJ, dancing and more! Learn more about the Boombox Pizza event here.
4) At Humble Abode Brewing, celebrate on December 31 with good beer and good friends! Tickets are $45 and include a 5 course dinner and beers!
5) Do you miss the 1980s? You’re not alone! Celebrate decades gone by with Lucky You Lounge on NYE. Lucky You Lounge is 21+ – make sure to come dressed in your 80s finery!
6) Join The Big Dipper Spokane to celebrate the Roaring 20s, past and future! Food, friends, no host bar and champagne at midnight! What else could you want? For more information about this event, click here.
7) Ring in the New Year with oysters from Zona Blanca at The Steel Barrel! Also – it’s Tuesday, so you know what that means! Taco Tuesdays! For more information about The Steel Barrel NYE event, click here.
8) Celebrate NYE early with The Backyard Public House, which will be hosting themed trivia, throwback music, drink specials and so much more. Learn more about The Backyard Public House NYE event here.
9) Want to stay up in North Spokane? That’s fair! Head on over to Happy Trails to Brews for Alisha K & The Boys from 8 pm until 11 pm. Learn more about the event here.
10) Do you like swing dancing? If so, you’re going to love Ella’s Secret New Year’s Eve Party! Enjoy food, drinks, dancing, prizes and more! Learn more and get tickets to Ella’s Secret New Year’s Eve Party here.
Looking for even more New Year’s Eve events? Make sure to check out our Events page here for all the latest!
New Year’s Eve at the Casino!
Clearly, Northern Quest needed their own section – there’s too much going on for NYE’s to leave them out! Prepare for 3 different parties at Northern Quest, including:
- Disco Party starting at 10 pm – 1970s disco, no host bar, NYE party favors, and champagne at midnight!
- Roaring 20s party at Riverbank Taphouse – starting at 8 pm. Come dressed in 20s attire for free cover, or pay $5 at the door.
- EPIC New Year’s Eve Party – starting at 8:30 pm, ring in 2020 with DJ Ramsin, enjoy cocktail specials and more! $15 cover at the door includes party favors and champagne toast at midnight. 21+.
Looking for a little more activity on New Year’s Eve? If dancing or fireworks aren’t your thing, we’ve also got you covered for outdoor fun!
Head up to Schweitzer for their New Year’s Eve Tubing Party. Late night tubing (9:30 – 11:30 p.m.) at Schweitzer complete with snacks, hot chocolate, a Twinkie roasting bar and an LED wand to light your way. All this fun is taking place at the Hermit’s Hollow tubing center and yurt.
When tubing ends, head over to Schweitzer’s clock tower for their complimentary sparkler celebration at midnight. Celebrate the beginning of 2019 with apple cider and sparklers at Schweitzer! For more information, click here.
Coeur d’Alene’s Resort Fireworks show
Ring in the New Year at Coeur d’Alene’s Resort’s New Year Celebration! The Resort Convention Center will host one of the largest New Year’s Eve parties in the region, complete with a buffet dinner, live entertainment, Facebook photo contest, prizes and a New Year’s Champagne Toast at Midnight. Be sure to come outfitted in your finest formal attire – exclusive prizes awarded for the Best Dressed! You can also catch the fireworks twice – once at 9 pm and again at midnight!
- 6:00 – 7:00 | Social Hour
- 7:00 – 9:00 | Grand Dinner Buffet
- 9:00 | Fireworks Show
- 9:00 – 12:30 | Champagne After-Party – featuring a live DJ & Mojo the Party Band (21+ yrs. age)
- 12:00 | Fireworks Show & Midnight Champagne Toast
Adults: $82 advance purchase | $100 at the door
Children (6-12 yrs, until 9:00 PM): $25
Holiday Light Shows
Haven’t gotten your fill of holiday light shows yet? Don’t worry, some will still be up and running on New Year’s Eve!
During the day, the botanical garden is home to plants from sub-tropical and temperate climate zones. But, during the holiday season, the conservatory comes alive at night when more than 30,000 festive lights illuminate the night sky and fill the greenhouse with holiday cheer.
With lights of all colors shining brightly in the dark, a visit to the area is a must in Spokane. Beginning Dec. 7, the lights will shine each night through the end of the month. You can see the holiday lights at the Gaiser Conservatory at these dates and times:
- December 17 to December 31, noon to 3:30 pm.
Spokane Winter Glow Spectacular
Enjoy the holiday season with a stroll through the Spokane Winter Glow Spectacular in Orchard Park. Hosted by Liberty Lake, the show will feature colorful lights resembling Christmas trees, snowmen and other holiday-themed displays. The light display runs nightly through Jan. 1. Check their Facebook page for additional information, such as warm drinks and treats, as well as holiday-related music performances.
For more holiday events and lights, head over to our holiday events in Spokane guide here!
What Happened to First Night?
Spokane is a really interesting place – it’s the second largest city in Spokane, which means there’s a lot to do. On the other hand, with fewer than 250,000 people in Spokane, it’s also a small city. This means we have a lot of big city amenities (shopping, dining, theater, cultural events, etc.) but we sometimes don’t have everything you might find in a big city. Take New Year’s Eve in Spokane, for instance.
In the past, Spokane had this cool New Year’s Eve event called First Night. It was apparently a big deal, but it shut down due to lack of attendance. That was probably the biggest event on New Year’s Eve in Spokane that the whole family could enjoy, but as far as we can tell, it won’t be coming back this year.
Luckily, Spokane has grown tremendously in the last ten years, and other parties and events have stepped in to fill the First Night void. If you’re looking for fun things to do on New Year’s Eve in Spokane, take a look at the list above. Let us know if there’s anything you think we should add!